Sunday 8 April 2012

Happy Easter!!!


If there is something my parents did teach his children is that Easter doesn't have anything to do with the business or the consumption of chocolate. In Brazil, we don't have many traditions to celebrate this date, so they didn't replace anything to the sole tradition spread in this country, which is to pay 120 reais (about 60 USD) per kilo of chocolate in the shape of chocolate eggs - a price that you wouldn't pay for any food.

Therefore, with the true meaning of Easter in mind and maturity already there, I made up my mind to look after the traditions which enrich the life's rituals, like the special occasions.

I could write a huge post about all the traditions I've learnt, but I want to talk about those traditions related to food (although the religious celebrations in community are the most important kind of traditions). And I'm talking neither about chocolate, nor about codfish.

Since I didn't find out about any Brazilian gastronomic traditions (if they do exist), let's have the foreign ones. One of them is the Simmel Cake, a rich English cake of dried fruit covered and filled with marzipan. You can find more about the story behind the cake HERE.

Because there is no marzipan to buy in my city and I don't venture to make my own marzipan, I cover my cake with dark chocolate ganache and put eleven "chocolate" eggs (well, no one would honestly call these terrible low quality thing chocolate, but the producer, and maybe not even them). This is a photo of my Simmel Cake:


Please, take into consideration that this is not a gastronomic blog with professional photos. ;-)

I have true original English recipe - I didn't pick one from the internet. =P It's good that I only eat this cake once a year. [smile]

Of course, end this post listening to the great J.S. Bach to celebrate this day to the most!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment