Friday 20 July 2012

Ramadan's Journal - #1

Ramadan is the Muslim month of fasting. You may ask why, if I'm not a Muslim, I am writing a Ramadan's Journal. It's because Ramadan isn't something you do if you feel like doing it. It's not like Lent, in Western countries, that you think you can even choose what are you living without for the season of fasting (like, eating meat, but not eating chocolate, because you are chocoholic and it's going to be much more difficult to live without cocoa in your veins than without meat - that's at least the excuse commonly given, if any is given). Ramadan is mandatory. Therefore, starting from today, the world have a large part of  its population, who is fasting. It may influence more our life than you and I ever thought of it. ;-)

Now, since I'm living in MENA, it is obviously going to influence, change and challenge my life in a daily basis - after all a whole country is fasting. Do you have any idea of what this means? I still don't, but I'm about to discover. And since the purpose of this blog is to share my everyday experiences, I thought it would be interesting to share with friends some insights, surprises, curiosities and whatever else happens. I will try to blog everyday for the next 30 days, so stay tuned.

If you got interested on the theme, you can read a quick article in Al Jazeera website. If you want some more information, try the Wikipedia entry for Ramadan.

To make it absolutely clear, it is not my aim either to attack or to promote Ramadan. Let's keep an open mind & heart and be open to dialogue & tolerance. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment