Wednesday 25 July 2012

Ramadan's Journal #6


Another thing that is deeply affected by Ramadan is the traffic. The traffic isn't crazy in the whole MENA region, but here it's probably the craziest (and I'm talking as a Brazilian. I'm used to a lawless traffic). As a friend well pointed out: the three lane streets easily become a five lane street.

Last Friday, first Ramadan's day, was the quietest day I've ever witnessed here so far. Friday, as I've mentioned before, is the equivalent of Sunday in more Christian and/or Western countries, so Friday morning is usually quiet - for local patterns, not that I didn't wish it to be even quieter (But, then, it's me in my love for silence and solitude. My problem, that's all). I  wish we had more days like that! =)

Luckily not only Friday was quieter than usual, but while people are at home eating, in the evening, silence reigns in the streets once more. Imagine that everybody is now using their mouths to get some food inside, instead of shouting, talking, quarelling, laughing.


An extremely busy street in early morning (not on Friday, tho). 

No comments:

Post a Comment