Wednesday 5 March 2014

The Lent Journal 1 - Ash Wednesday

Almost two years ago I published a journal on the Ramadan. The first Ramadan in my life that I would be an eyewitness. 

I've decided this time to journal the Lent. After all, Christian makes from 6 too 10% of the population (depending on the sources), and I can take part of the Lent - so now I'll be able to add a personal perspective. 

At first I thought about participating in the traditions of the Coptic Church. But I missed the beginning of their Lent, which is called Great Lent and began on February 24 =( But then, I can participate with the church I attend, which is an Episcopal Church - and that makes it less of a cultural experience, but really a life-changing experience instead, since I don't have to learn so much about the traditions or the meanings of this and that. 

Today was Ash Wednesday: the day that we begin celebrating Lent. We had a beautiful bilingual service - in English and Arabic. They made it very ease my journalling: during the Lent period, we will be reading Luke, and they gave us flyer with the readings for everyday. So, I'll post them here. 

So many others have tried their hand at putting together a story of the wonderful harvest of Scripture and history that took place among us, using reports handed down by the original eyewitnesses who served this Word with their very lives. Since I have investigated all the reports in close detail, starting from the story’s beginning, I decided to write it all out for you, most honorable Theophilus, so you can know beyond the shadow of a doubt the reliability of what you were taught. Luke 1. 1 - 4, translation from The Message. 

Tomorrow more on Ash Wednesday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment