Friday 21 March 2014

The Lent Journal 17

Since Lent have started, I've been thinking a bit more about almsgiving. In Brazil, I would never stop by and drop a coin to a beggar. And mostly certainly never to a child. The rationale for this is very simple: begging is a short cut, that will avoid people in need to look for actual solutions. And it it quite certain that a child is begging on behalf of parents, that won't use the money in benefit of the child. This child should most probably be in school. Money dropped by is easily converted into cigarettes, alcohol, drugs.  Many of us had the experience of offering food instead of money and being... shouted at by an angry beggar who wants money instead of food.

Now, I know that all these considerations are easily dismissed when confronted to the cruel reality of many that don't have anything. Or many that don't have hope. Or who were robbed of their dignity. So many realities, experiences, perceptions of life.

I've been well trained by my parents though, to support organizations that would really benefit those in need. Where I live now, even though my country is the Kingdom of the Discrepancy, with so many absurd contrasts, the situation is even worse.  


Now, what do you do when a work fellow's apartment collapsed? No like the ones on the photo: you can see his apartment on the photo. Or what remained of it.  

How Jesus calls us to help those in need? 

The reading for today is Luke 12: 13 - 31 (The Message): 

Someone out of the crowd said, “Teacher, order my brother to give me a fair share of the family inheritance.”

He replied, “Mister, what makes you think it’s any of my business to be a judge or mediator for you?”

Speaking to the people, he went on, “Take care! Protect yourself against the least bit of greed. Life is not defined by what you have, even when you have a lot.”

Then he told them this story: “The farm of a certain rich man produced a terrific crop. He talked to himself: ‘What can I do? My barn isn’t big enough for this harvest.’ Then he said, ‘Here’s what I’ll do: I’ll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I’ll gather in all my grain and goods, and I’ll say to myself, Self, you’ve done well! You’ve got it made and can now retire. Take it easy and have the time of your life!’

“Just then God showed up and said, ‘Fool! Tonight you die. And your barnful of goods—who gets it?’

“That’s what happens when you fill your barn with Self and not with God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment