Saturday 18 August 2012

Ramadan's Journal #27

Today is the last entry I'm writing about Ramadan. Because the month of fasting ends today.

Tomorrow - and after tomorrow - is going to be holiday here (remember, weekend here is Friday). The holiday is called Eid ul-Fitr. It means something like "Festivity for the end of Fasting". I've been told people are going to be celebrating in the streets and having fun. Unfortunately, I have read in the newspapers, that harassment of women increases considerably during Eid. It seems so serious that a local feminist movement is going to promote patrols in metro stations.

I thought that a good thing to prayer about is to ask for end of sexual harassment. And, because it's not going to end suddenly, to ask that we, ladies, may learn to speak up against it and that we may not feel guilty or devalued because of it.

The following short film tackles the issue. It's in Arabic, but I'm sure you can understand it: the harassment, the inside voice blaming herself, the shame, suffering, and a final point when she SPEAKs UP. There'll be a period. A full stop.



As it is stated in the end of the video:

you are not flattering
you are harassing
your silence allows it. speak up

That's my prayer and celebration for Eid.

You can read Wikipedia's article for the Eid HERE.

PS: I was planning to write about Eid, telling about all the yummie biscuits that appeared recently in the baker's and crowded supermarkets. But how could I when I open the [e-]newspapers and article after article is talking about what I actually wrote? Definitely, I am not the one who is going to keep quiet, right?

PS2: a bomb in Herat, Afghanistan, kills 12 civilians. Taliban saying Eid Karim! (generous Eid) - they said the killings in the last days are their Eid's message. Not that I am going to reason about this, but I guess I'm feeling a bit like John Lenon today. Eid Mubarak (Happy Eid), War is not Over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment